In this tutorial, we will explain how to illustrate a kitchen hand mixer. You will see advanced points such as blurring some edges without changing other edges. The synthesis of metal with plastic makes this tutorial both attractive and beautiful. Let’s get started!
1.Draw mixer body by Pen Tool.
2. Fill it in with gray color and go to the Object/Create Gradient Mesh. Set the column and row as 3 and click .
3. Select the nodes located in the middle of the body by Direct Selection Tool and fill them with a brighter color (C=8, M=6, Y=5, K=0).
4. Select the upper nodes and make them brighter (C=7, M=5, Y=5, K=0).
5. Select the left nodes and make them brighter (C=11, M=7, Y=8, K=0).
6. Draw the upper edge of the body, which is for the position of the handle, by Pen Tool.
7. Fill it with darkish gray color. Draw inner part of the handle. Draw a form by Pen Tool for it.
8. Fill it with darkish gray color.
9. Select the object, go to the Effect/Blur/Gaussian Blur and blur the edges of this object.
10. Take a smaller copy from that shape and change it using white color. Go to the Appearance/Blur and then click on Delete.
11.Harmonize the edge of the body with the handle by Direct Selection.
12. To create a switch at the top of the mixer, draw a rounded rectangle and add a curve to it.
13. Add an appropriate Gradient color to the switch from Gradient Pallet and set its direction by Gradient Tool from the tool box.
14. Draw a black line at the bottom by Pen Tool.
15. Take a copy (Ctrl+D) from the black line and paste it under the last black line. Change the new black line with white color.
16. Draw a dark line by Pen Tool under the handle.
17.Draw a white object by Pen Tool at the front of the body.
18. Go to the Appearance pallet and set Opacity=50 for the shape.
19. Draw a curve by Pen Tool and increase its thickness. Change its color to gray (as shown) and put it at the appropriate position on the shape.
20. To turn curve towards the object, go to the Object/Path/Outline Stroke. Then, go to the Object/Create Gradient Mesh and set the column and row as 4. Select the nodes located on the right edge by Direct Selection Tool, go to the Appearance pallet and set Opacity=0. After this, the color of the curve at that node will blur gradually into the body.
21. Blur the white shape located on the body at some points, like you did in the last steps.
22. Draw a circle by using the circle tool from the tool box and put it at the bottom as shown. Paint it with Gradient Pallet.
23. Take a copy from it and change its color to bright gray. Select this shape and put it under last circle (]+Ctrl+Shift).
24. Repeat the last couple of circles at the bottom of the body (Ctrl+D).
25. To create lighting, draw a shape by Pen Tool at the front of the body and fill it with white color.
26. To blur the shape, go to the Effect/Blur/Gaussian Blur.
27. Draw a smaller shape by Pen Tool at the side of this one.
28. To blur it, go to the Effect/Blur/Gaussian Blur.
29. To make lighting, go to the Appearance Pallet and set Blur, again.
30. Draw other shape at the bottom of the body and fill it with white color.
31. To blur it, go to the Effect/Blur/Gaussian Blur.
32. To create spotlights, draw two ellipses on the last shape.
33. To blur the ellipse partially, go to the Effect/Blur/Gaussian Blur.
34. Draw other object on the handle and fill it with white color.
35. To blur the shape partially, go to the Effect/Blur/Gaussian Blur. To create the air inlet grille, select Round Rectangle Tool and click on the page. Set as shown and repeat this shape (Ctrl+D).
36. Remove the outlines of those shapes and fill them with black color.
37. Take copy from the shapes and change them with gray color. Put them partially under the black shapes.
38. Draw air inlet grilles at the bottom like in the last steps.
39. Draw a rectangle by Pen Tool as shown.
40.Draw an egg shape by Pen Tool and put it under the rectangle.
41. Draw two semi-egg shapes and put them in the egg shape.
42. Go to the Window/Pathfinder, select the two egg shapes and go to the Pathfinder/Unite. These become one shape. After selecting this new shape and the original egg shape go to the Pathfinder/Minus Front Back. The design will become as shown.
43. Draw a rectangular band and put it under last shape. Add a circle on the connection of the body with the shaft.
44. Paint the rectangle with Gradient Pallet and fit it by Gradient Tool from the tool box.
45. Select other shape and add the same Gradient of the shafts to them.
46. Take a copy from the shape and fill it with bright gray. Put that at the side of one.
47. Select all of the created metal parts and take a copy from them (Ctrl+D).
48. Draw a shape by Pen Tool at the bottom and fill it with gray color.
49. Blur the edges of the shape as you did in step 20.
50. Add a black line under the switch. You’re done!