In this tutorial, we will explain how to illustrate an opened book. We can illustrate a page using many different methods, but we’ve chose the simplest and shortest one. You can even create creative images on the pages of the book. Let’s get started!
1. Draw a sketch of an opened book by Pen Tool.
2. Set page thickness=2px and fill the sketch with (C=88, M=91, Y=74, K=0).
3. Draw other sketch and pay attention to page margins. Make this sketch darker than cover color (C=53, M=74, Y=73, K=75).
4. Draw another sketch by Pen Tool for the book pages. Fill with gray color.
5. Draw a page separately by Pen Tool on the right side.
6. Draw another page on the left side, just like you did in the last step.
7. Change the color of the left page from dark to bright by using Gradient Tool and palette.
8. Change the color of the right page just like in last step.
9. Draw a line, thickness=1, by Pen Tool.
10. Select the line and go to Effect/Distort & Transform/Transform. From here, repeat the line downward as shown.
11. Draw a darkish gray rectangle using Rectangle Tool from Tool Box.
12. To separate the lines from each other, select the lines, go to Object/Ungroup and then exit from here. Drag on the first eight lines and shorten them until they are arranged near the rectangle with spacing.
13. Select all sketches and go to Object/Group. To change the position of nodes located around the shape and send them to the appropriate locations, go to Effect/Distort & Transform/free distort.
14. To curve the last sketch, go to Effect/Warp/Arch and set the arch window as shown. The complete shape should look like this.
15. Draw a line, thickness=1, by using Pen Tool.
16. Select the line and go to Effect/Distort & Transform/Transform. From there, repeat the line downward as shown.
17. Draw a bright gray rectangle by Pen Tool at the bottom.
18. Shorten the lines so that suitable margins will appear for the gray rectangle.
19. Add the lines of the right page as you did in steps 13-14.
20. To set Free Distort Effect again, select the object, go to Appearance Window, click on the Effect and set the positions of the nodes again.
21. To create edges of the pages, draw a jagged shape and put it on the right side. Go to Window/Pathfinder, select the jagged shape and the gray part â€œwhich forms the page shapeâ€ and go to Pathfinder/Unite.
22. The edge of the book becomes jagged. You can edit this shape and move the jagged position by Direct Selection Tool.
23. Add some jags to left side as in step 21.
24. To create shadow on the pages, draw a sketch by Pen Tool and fill it with Gradient palette.
25. Put it at the appropriate position.
26. To create page spacing, draw a sketch by Pen Tool and put it in the Brush palette. Set new window as Art Brush. Now, you have a brush with a favorable shape.
27. To create spacing between the pages, draw a line by Pen Tool. Select the line, go to Brush palette and click on the created brush.
28. Take required copies from the line (Ctrl+D) and arrange the nodes located on the ends of the lines at appropriate locations.
29. Repeat steps 27-28 to complete the right side.
30. Select the left lines together and go to Object/Path/Outline Stroke. Fill it with appropriate and gradient color from Gradient Tool.
31. Repeat previous step for right lines. Notice that the objects do not have any stroke.
32. Add bright color on the edges of the cover. For this, use Brush Tool, select appropriate color from Swatches palette. Then, go to Brush palette and select appropriate brush. You can see more brushes in Brush Library Menu.
33. Select a brighter color than the last one and draw some spots by Brush Tool on the last line.
34. Draw a book ribbon marker by Pen Tool.
35. Fill it with appropriate and gradient color by Gradient palette and Tool.
36. To add darkness under book ribbon marker, draw a brown sketch at top of the book ribbon marker.
37. Draw a sketch by Pen Tool under book ribbon marker and fill it with gray color. Go to Appearance palette and set Opacity=80%. After doing this, a shadow will appear.
38. Draw a red headband by Pen Tool.
39. Take a copy from it and divide its thickness in half. For seam, go to Stroke palette/Dashed Line. Then, fill it with cream color.
40. Draw other sketch under the book and fill it with black color.
41. To blur it, go to Effect/Blur/Gaussian Blur. Then, go to Appearance Window and set Opacity=50.
42. Draw two gray sketches by Pen Tool.
43. To blur the shape, go to Effect/Blur/Gaussian Blur. You’re done!