In this tutorial, we will explain how to illustrate an equestrian. This exciting illustrating has known many forms such as a horse and other body designs which are frightful for us. After learning this tutorial, you will hopefully always enjoy horse and man illustrating. This has many different shapes and I hope that you enjoy it. Let’s get started!
1. For designing the horsetail, draw an ellipse.
2. Select the ellipse and go to the Effect/Distort & Transform/Roughen and adjust as shown
3. Pull the end of each curve by Warp Tool from tool box (Shift+r) to get Raising sharp. We want to make hairs of the horsetail.
4. Remember the shape of a horsetail and continue patiently.
5. Whenever they become good enough, you can leave them. You should remove some parts by using Eraser from tool box and from them. This process is more necessary for top of the tail because its shape is flat. Paint the horsetail with Gradient color.
6. Draw a horse body by using Pen Tool from tool box and use Gradient for painting.( C=43, M=88, Y=81, K= 67) and( C=32, M=77, Y=100, K= 35) are the best colors.
7. To draw a horse leg, you should know horse anatomy. It is appropriate to look at some pictures or find good imaging by looking at several images. After drawing, paint it with Gradient Tool.
8. Draw the second horse leg in back of the first one and the horse body by using Pen Tool.
9. Draw horse hand as last steps and paint it. The hand muscles which are located on the horse body should be draw also.
10. Draw the second horse hand in the back of first one and paint it with appropriate Gradient color.
11. Draw horse neck separately by using Pen Tool and paint it with Gradient. Donâ€™t worry about this two-part neck. We will modify it with a dark final shape.
12. Draw horse head and paint it.
13. Add two ears and fill them with Gradient color.
14. The status of the muscles of the horse face is very important for the face shape. Therefore, they should be drawn very carefully. All of the muscles are harmonious with the face color. The status of their Gradient is controlled with Gradient Tool from tool box. The location of the nose is left dark and the location of the eyes we will draw and paint separately. To create a horse mouth, add a thin line to the shape.
15. To create an eye, draw a rectangle and ellipse and put them together (1). Fill the rectangle with gray color and paint the ellipse with white and gray colors and use of Gradient as radial to become gray and Group it from Object menu (2). Draw eye shape (3). Put the drawing of the eye shape under the other drawing shape and go to: Object/Clipping Mask/Make (4). If necessary, move the objects by Direct Selection Tool.
16. The nose of the horse should have a bright line around its shape. Add a surrounding line and empty it. (1). Go to the Object/Path/Create Outline Stroke (2). Paint it with Gradient color (3). Add this shape on top of the last one
17. Draw a simple sketch for the horse mane.
18. To create the hairs of the mane, draw a triangle. Take it to Brush pallet and select Art Brush from created window.
19. Select Brush Tool from tool box then select Brush shape from Brush pallet and draw the hairs. If necessary, adjust the size and thickness of hair by double clicking on the Brush and using window setting. Select the simple mane and hairs and go to the Object/Expand Appearance. Go to the Window/Pathfinder, select the hairs and mane and Unite them.
20. Draw reins by using Pen Tool and adjust for appropriate thickness. To add good Gradient color to it, go to the Object/Path/Outline Stroke. After selecting gradient for every shape, to set a good location of them, use Gradient Tool from tool box. Draw a circle as a rein ring by using circle from tool box and put it at the appropriate location. Go to the Object/Path/Outline Stroke and fill the rein ring with Gradient color to appear metallic.
21. Draw a cinch. This cinch has 3 parts: a girth and two buckles. After drawing the cinch by using Pen Tool, fill it with appropriate Gradient color.
22. Draw a leather band located on the girth by Pen Tool and put the loops above it by Object/Arrange/Bring to Front. Paint the leather band with appropriate Gradient color.
23. Take a copy from the hands and legs and cut it to required size by using Pathfinder from Window menu. Draw a surrounding shape about unnecessary parts and select both objects, then cut the required parts of the hands and legs by Pathfinder/Minus Front. Other remaining parts are located on the hands and legs. Add appropriate Gradient color to them.
24. Create the horse hoofs like you did in the last steps and add appropriate Gradient color to them.
25. To create volume in the joints, draw some circles on the joints by using circle tool from tool box and paint them with appropriate color by Gradient Radial type.
26. Draw horse saddle by using Pen tool and add color, which is the same as the leg color by Gradient Tool.
27. For adding white colors on the saddle, add some shapes on the back of saddle and paint them with white color. Design shapes that show beneath the saddle.
28. Complete the saddle by adding a black edge.
29. Draw a strap and paint it with Gradient color.
30. Draw a stirrup which has a triangular form and define its thickness. Go to Object/Path/Outline Stroke and add appropriate Gradient color.
31. Draw back of strap. To add volume to the strap, take a color and a smaller copy from strap and put it in front of the last one.
32. Draw equestrian boot and paint it with black Gradient color. Draw its heel separately and paint it.
33. Draw the leg of the equestrian and paint with appropriate Gradient color.
34. Put the leg of the equestrian in the strap. The leg doesn’t fit in the strap by sending objects front or back (Object/Arrange) After putting the leg in the strap, draw a colored band and put it on the strap as shown.
35. Draw other leg of the equestrian and send it to the back by using Arrange/Send to Back command.
36. Draw the hand of the equestrian by using Pen Tool and paint it with appropriate Gradient color.
37. Draw marks of the equestrianâ€™s clothes and unite them by Pathfinder/Unite. Select both mark of the clothes and hand design then go to Object/Clipping Mask/Make.
38. Draw other hand like you did in the last steps.
39. Draw a shape on the shoulder of the equestrian and paint it with Gradient pallet as shown.
40. Draw the status of equestrian by using Pen Tool and go to Object/Create Gradient Mesh, adjust 4 rows and columns, then click . Take the nodes by Direct Selection Tool and shape them.
41. Add a white band to the clothes of the equestrian by using Pen Tool.
42. Add a collar and fill it with red color.
43. Add the head of the equestrian and paint it with Gradient Tool.
44. Draw a cap and fill it with Gradient Tool.
45. Draw equestrian eyewear and paint it as shown.
46. Draw the bands of eyewear and cap and increase their thickness. Go to the Object/Path/Outline Stroke and add appropriate Gradient color to them.
47. To create several pickers on the back of equestrian clothes, draw some disorder shapes and paint them.
48. Add equestrian’s hand and paint it.
49. Create the equestrian whip with two different shapes and assemble them as shown.
50. You can add some shapes under and side of horse and make them dark with Gradient colors. You’re done!